Welcome

So why am I blogging? The truth is I want to connect with marketers and business people, and share some of my experience. My aim is give hints and tips to less experienced marketers and maybe even provide a few helpful pointers to the more practised professionals. I hope you find it useful. I'd love to hear your feedback. Please feel free to post your comments.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Seasonal Marketing

As I started writing my final blog for 2010 with the holidays just a couple of days away, I began to think about how we, as marketers, capitalise on seasonal events such as Christmas, Easter, Valentine’s Day, Halloween etc. It’s not just toy stores at Christmas who stand to win from seasonal marketing. There are a whole range of opportunities throughout the year where you can take a seasonal event and turn it to your advantage. With a little lateral thinking, I’m sure most businesses could come up with a promotion to capitalise on a season’s festivities.
I’ve had a little troll through You Tube and the depths of my memory to find some examples of what I’m on about. Here are a few adverts/promotions from companies who have cleverly used a seasonal event which does not really have a direct correlation their product, but they’ve used the time of year to their advantage.
Prescription drugs at Easter:
NHS Easter Bunny Advert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpGRFM-8mW4 
End of Financial Year and Pay TV
Lamb and Australia Day
Iron Bru soft drink and the World Cup
Irn Bru – world cup 2010 advert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S36BCNgH9As
Tea bags at Christmas
PG Tips Tea Christmas advert:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga08Lz5-RLk&NR=1
Citroen Car on Valentines Day
Citroen – Love in London: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q1cv1o_0rQ
There are many more examples where organisations have turned a seasonal event to their advantage. It would be great to hear your stories, so feel free to share any experiences.
What will your marketing calendar look like in 2011?
CraftWrite wishes its blog readers a wonderful  Christmas!
Look forward to bringing you more marketing gems in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment